What is Uro vasti?
A special Ayurvedic therapy, Uro Vasti is where the Urah (chest) is subjected to a therapy called Vasti (warm medicated oil—placed over the chest region). Vasti denotes “a compartment that holds”.
Uro Vasti is a localized procedure for treatment of diseases in the region of the chest—especially Kapha and Vata Dosha disorders. Essentially, warm, medicated, Dosha-specific oil is kept in contact over the skin of the chest region, for a particular amount of time, using a ‘well’ made of a special ,, black gram dough. This relaxing therapy has an extremely soothing and healing effect on the skin, muscles, joints, bones and underlying organs and structures (especially the lungs, airways and heart). When localized to the pericardium region it is called Hrid Vasti.
Synonyms: Uro Basti (pronounced Oo-Roh Bus-tee), Hrid Basti, Hrud Basti
Why is it Best?
- Respiratory diseases such as chronic bronchitis, bronchial asthma, chronic dry cough, Vata Kasa (a dry, painful, hacking cough),
- Smoker’s cough, emphysema, COPD, seasonal cough,
- Dyspnea, breathing difficulties,
- Circulatory diseases such as heart disorders, palpitations, valve diseases, etc.
- Uro vasti is usually indicated in chronic conditions, patients with poor respiratory immunity and heart disease that may not be responding to routine medication.
Benefits for You:
- The relaxing and healing effect of Uro Vasti reduces excess Kapha or Vata Dosha.
- It alleviates pain, congestion and dryness within the airways/lungs.
- It nourishes the heart and helps in better functioning of this vital organ.
- It soothes the nerves supplying these organs, enhances local blood circulation and relieves muscle tension.
The Process on the Spots
Using a prescribed medicated oil, local Abhyanga is carried out. A well, or frame-ring, made from black gram dough is placed to surround the affected area. This ensures that the oil is held in place and does not leak. According to the diseases condition, the medicated oil is warmed and slowly poured into this well over the skin of chest region. As this pool of oil cools it is replaced with warm oil throughout the procedure, to maintain a uniform temperature. This process is continued for a specific time, following which, the excess oil is drained off and a light massage is given to the region and surrounding areas. This procedure may be followed with Swedana treatment such as Nadi Sweda (medicated steam therapy).
Duration and Cost
Duration: 30 to 40 minutes. This time may be reduced or increased as per your doctor’s advice.
Combination Therapies: Depending on the disease condition, Uro Vasti may be combined with Abhyanga, Swedana, Pinda Sweda, etc.