What is Shiroabhyanga?
Shiro Abhyanga is a Sanskrit word. It is composed of two words, Shira or head and Abhyanga, which means to induce specific and special movements on the body with a gentle oil massage.
Shiro Abhyanga is a traditional Ayurvedic therapy, involving a technique of the application of warm, herb-infused oil over the head with a gentle massage. It is one of the most relaxing and stress relieving procedures. Shiro Abhyanga has a variety of beneficial effects on the mind and body. It is one treatment among the four main Murdhni Taila (head oil applications); the three others are Shiro Dhara, Shiro Pichu and Shiro Basti. Various oils are used according to varying body constitutions and disease conditions.
With Shiro Abhyanga, the oil is absorbed into the deepest tissues of the scalp, nourishing the hair and skin and infusing the medicinal effect of the herbs into deeper layers of the body.
Synonyms: Shirah Snehana, Murdhni Taila
Why is it Best?
- The experience of Shiro Abhyanga elicits a blissful sensation, leaving you feeling more tranquil than ever before.
- It is useful in many Vata disorders, diseases of the head, sense organs and psychosomatic diseases.
- Shiro Abhyanga is excellent for hair health and makes the hair grow stronger, thicker and more luxurious.
- It is effective in scalp conditions such as dryness, dandruff etc. I
- t enhances blood circulation, reduces stress and fatigue and enriches the quality of sleep.
- Long term Shiro Abhyanga has an anti-ageing effect and prevents premature greying of hair.
- It has a profound effect on the brain and nervous system; it improves sleep, prevents memory loss, improves concentration, and the functioning of Indriyas (sense organs).
- Special medicated oils are utilized in specific disease conditions.
Benefits for You:
- All healthy individuals are benefited by Shiro Abhyanga. In fact it is said to be a part of the daily Ayurveda regimen for good health (Dinacharya).
- It is prescribed in almost all conditions such as mental stress, fatigue, headache, migraines,
- Anxiety, depression,
- Memory loss, poor attention or concentration,
- Psychological disorders,
- Diseases of sense organ dysfunction,
- Hair fall, dandruff, scalp conditions, premature greying of hair,
- Paralysis, hemiplegia, facial palsy,
- Ophthalmic disorders etc.
The Process on the Spots
Shiro Abhyanga involves applying warm Dosha-specific oil over the head, followed by a massage using techniques and strokes by well-trained therapists. The techniques of massage employed are unique. The whole head is massaged in a synchronous way with focus on certain pressure points and Marmas. You will be prescribed a particular oil depending on your condition. Specific herbs are infused into the oil, used to treat specific diseases.
30 min Shiroabhyanga
Medicated Herbal Oil
60 min Shiroabhyanga
Medicated Herbal Oil