What is Shiro vasti?
Shiro Vasti is a special ayurvedic therapy where the Shira (head) is subjected to a procedure called Vasti involving a pool of warm oil in a chamber over the head. Vasti denotes “a compartment that holds” (in this case the pool of oil over the head).
Shiro Vasti is one treatement among the four main Murdhni Taila (head oil applications), the others being Shiro Abhyanga, Shiro Dhara and Shiro Pichu. As the head houses several vital organs, these procedures in Ayurveda are aimed at protecting and fortifying this vital part of the physiology, to promote mental and physical wellbeing. Essentially, warm medicated herbal oil is pooled in a closed chamber, built over the head to keep the oil in contact with the scalp, for a while. This therapy has an extremely soothing and healing effect for the head and the structures within. Your doctor will assess your condition and choose a medicated oil according to your Dosha and disease condition.
Synonyms: Shiro Basti
Why is it Best?
- All healthy individuals are benefited by Shiro Vasti as a rejuvenation therapy.
- It is prescribed in almost all conditions of mental stress, fatigue,
- Headache, migraines,
- Insomnia, anxiety, depression,
- Memory loss, poor attention or concentration,
- Psychological disorders,
- Diseases of sense organ dysfunction,
- Hair fall, dandruff, scalp conditions, premature greying of hair,
- Paralysis, hemiplegia, facial palsy,
- Ophthalmic conditions, etc.
Benefits for You:
- The experience of Shiro Vasti elicits a blissful and relaxing sensation.
- It is useful in many Vata disorders, diseases of the head, sense organs and psychosomatic diseases.
- It enhances blood circulation, reduces stress and fatigue and enriches the quality of sleep.
- Shiro Vasti is effective for hair health and makes the hair grow stronger, thicker and more luxurious, and prevents premature greying, dandruff, dry scalp ,etc.
- Similar to Shiro Abhyanga, it has a profound effect on the brain and nervous system; it improves sleep, prevents memory loss, improves concentration and the functioning of Indriyas (sense organs).
- Special medicated oils are utilized in varying disease conditions.
The Process on the Spots
The patient is asked adopt a comfortable seated position. A band of cloth is tied around the head just above the brows. Then the Shiro Vasti apparatus made of a long rexine/faux leather sheet or similar material, is wrapped around the head and sealed over the first cloth band with special dough made from black gram. This acts as a seal and prevents the oil from leaking. Once this ‘cap’ is fitted in place, the medicated herb-infused oil is warmed and slowly poured into this well in such a way that it pools over the top of the head immersing the scalp. As the pool of oil cools it is replaced with warm oil throughout the procedure, to maintain a uniform temperature. This process is continued for a specific time. Following this, the excess oil is removed and the cap is taken off. The therapist will perform Shiro Abhyanga after which the extra oil is wiped off. It is often repeated daily for 7 days or more, depending on the patient’s condition.
Duration: 30 to 45 minutes. This time may be reduced or increased as per your doctor’s advice.
Combination Therapies: Depending on the disease condition, Nasya or Shiro Dhara may be combined with this procedure.
30 min Shiro Vasti
30 min Shiro Vasti + Shiroabhyanga
Including Head massage