What is Netra Vasti?
Netra Vasti is a special ayurvedic therapy where the Netra (eyes) are covered with a pool of medicated ghee (clarified butter) used to improve vision, manage several eye disorders, purify the eyes and delay natural degeneration. Vasti denotes a compartment that holds (in this case the well of ghee over the eyes).
Kriyakalpas are unique procedures in the realm of Ayurvedic ophthalmology (Shalakya Tantra). Netra Vasti is a meticulous, localized procedure to treat diseases of the eyes. It is one among the different Kriyakalpas specific to the eyes. Essentially, warm,medicated, herbal ghee is kept in contact with the eyes, for a certain amount of time, using a ‘well’ made of a special, black gram dough. This therapeutic procedure has an extremely soothing and healing effect of the structures of the eye including the surrounding muscles. Your doctor will assess your condition and choose a medicated ghee with herbs that enhance eye function.
Synonyms: Tarpana, Netra Tarpana, Akshi Tarpana
Why is it Best?
- Refractive errors (myopia, hypermetropia, presbyopia, astigmatism),
- Early cataract, poor vision, blurry or double vision,
- Dry eye syndrome,
- Computer vision syndrome,
- Conjunctivitis and other corneal conditions,
- Optic neuritis,
- Diabetic retinopathy,
- Ptosis, weakness of ocular muscles.
- Nystagmus, etc.
Benefits for You:
- The revitalizing and healing effect reduces stress and dryness in the eyes, improves vision, and soothes the organ tissues.
- It enhances local immunity and boosts the tolerance of the eyes to external factors of the environment.
- It prevents early degeneration of tissues and recurrent eye infections.
- It even alleviates pain, congestion, heaviness and tired eye muscles.
- Netra Vasti nourishes the eyes and helps in better functioning of this vital sense organ.
- It soothes the nerves supplying the eyes, enhances local blood circulation and relieves muscle tension.
The Process on the Spots
The patient is asked to lie down, facing up, on the treatment table. A well or frame-ring is made from black gram dough to surround the eyes. This ensures that the ghee is held in place and does not leak. The medicated herb-infused ghee, according to the disease condition, is melted and, at the right temperature, is slowly poured into this well. The patient is asked to gently open and close the eyes so that the essence of the medicated ghee may be well absorbed. This process is continued for a specific amount of time. Following this, the excess ghee is removed and light massage may be given to the surrounding region. An eye pack of cloth or cotton will be lightly tied around the eyes and the patient is asked to avoid bright light for a few hours post the procedure. It is often repeated daily for 7 days or more, depending on the patient’s condition.
Duration and Cost
Duration: 30 to 60 minutes. This time may be reduced or increased as per your doctor’s advice.
Combination Therapies: Depending on the specific disease, Nasya or Netra Dhara may be combined with this procedure.
30 min Eye Treatment
Including eye wash
Eye Treatment + Ear Treatment
Including eye wash