What is Janu Vasti?
Janu Vasti is an ayurvedic therapy where the Janu (knee) is subjected to a therapy called Vasti (warm medicated oil placed over the knee joint). Vasti denotes “a compartment that holds” (in this case a pool of medicated oil).
Janu Vasti is a localized procedure to treat diseases of the knee joint. As an important weight-bearing joint, the knees are prone to a number of disorders. In this therapy, warm, medicated, Dosha-specific oil is kept in contact with the skin of the knee joint, for a particular amount of time, using a ‘well’ made of a special black gram dough. This rejuvenating therapy has an extremely soothing and healing effect of the skin, muscles, joints, bones and underlying structures of the knee joint. It is an effective therapy to treat knee disorders. Your doctor will assess the disease condition and choose an herbal oil specific to your disease and Dosha imbalance.
Synonyms: Janu Basti (pronounced Jaa-noo Bus-tee)
Why is it Best?
- Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis,
- Ilio-tibial band syndrome,
- Ligament tears, sport injuries like ACL tears,
- Stiff knee, muscle weakness,
- Degenerative disorders of the knee,
- Sprains and strains,
- Post trauma or post fracture healing,
- Chronic knee pain,
- Knee bursitis,
- Torn meniscus, etc.
Benefits for You:
- The relaxing and healing effect of Janu Vasti reduces pain and stiffness by nourishing the structures of the knee joint.
- It soothes the nerves supplying the knee joint, and strengthens the muscles, tendon and ligaments of the region.
- This therapy also enhances local blood circulation.
- It improves flexibility and range of motion of the knee joint and reduces both, the intensity and frequency of knee pain.
- Janu Vasti is also advisable in people who have occupations involving standing for long hours, sports persons, athletes, etc.
The Process on the Spots
The patient is asked to lie down on the treatment table. A well or frame-ring is made from black gram dough, surrounding the affected area, forming a circle over the knee joint. This ensures that the oil is held in place and does not leak. Prescribed according to the diseases condition, medicated oil or herbal ghee (clarified butter) is warmed and slowly poured into this well. As the pool of oil cools it is replaced with warm oil throughout the procedure, to maintain a uniform temperature. This process is continued for a specific time. Following this, the excess oil is removed and local Abhyanga is given to the region and surrounding areas. This procedure may be followed with Swedana such as Nadi Sweda (medicated steam therapy), Pinda Sweda, etc.
Duration and Cost
Knee Vasti (30 min)
Only one knee
Knee Vasti (30 min)
Only both knee
Knee Vasti (30 min) + Abhayanga
Both Knee Treatment