What is Griva Vasti?
Griva Vasti is an Ayurvedic therapy where the Griva (nape of the neck) is subjected to a therapy called Vasti where warm medicated oil is placed over the nape. Vasti denotes “a compartment that holds” (in this case a pool of medicated oil).
Griva Vasti is a procedure localized to treat diseases in the cervical region of spine. It also has an effect on the upper back and shoulders. Essentially, warm, medicated, Dosha-specific oil is kept in contact over the skin of the nape, for a particular time, using a ‘well’ made of a special, black gram dough. This relaxing therapy has an extremely soothing and healing effect of the skin, muscles, joints, bones and underlying structures. It is an effective therapy to treat cervical spine disorders. Your doctor will assess the disease condition and choose a herbal oil specific to your disease and Dosha imbalance.
Synonyms: Griva Basti (pronounced Gree-vah Bus-tee), Manya Vasti (Mun-yaa Vus-tee)
Why is it Best?
- Spondylosis, spondylolisthesis, ankylosing spondylitis,
- Cervical disc lesions, disc prolapse,
- Whiplash, mechanical neck pain, stiff neck, muscle spasms, muscle weakness,
- Arthritis, osteoporosis, degenerative disorders of the spine,
- Sprains and strains,
- Tingling and numbness of the hands,
- Post trauma healing,
- Tension headaches and migraines, vertigo,
- Frozen shoulder,
- Chronic neck pain,
- Compression fractures, etc.
Benefits for You:
- The relaxing and healing effect of Griva Vasti reduces pain and stiffness by nourishing the body tissues.
- It soothes the nerves supplying the cervical spine and muscles of the neck and upper back.
- This therapy also enhances local blood circulation and relieves muscle tension.
- It improves flexibility and range of motion of the cervical spine and reduces both intensity and frequency of neck pain.
- It is also advisable in people who have sedentary jobs, who use a computer/laptop for long hours or who drive or ride often.
- It is used with aged patients to prevent or arrest the progress of degenerative conditions.
The Process on the Spots
The patient is asked to lie face down on the treatment table. A well or frame-ring is made from black gram dough, to surround the affected area, forming a circle over the nape of the neck. This ensures that the oil is held in place and does not leak. The medicated oil according to the disease condition, is warmed and slowly poured into this well. As the pool of oil cools it is replaced with warm oil throughout the procedure, to maintain a uniform temperature. This process is continued for a specific time. Following this, the excess oil is drained off and local Abhyanga is given to the region and surrounding areas. This procedure may be followed with Swedana such as Nadi Sweda (medicated steam therapy), Pinda Sweda, Shastika Shali Pinda Sweda, etc.
Duration and Cost
Duration: 30-90 minutes
Combination Therapies: Depending on the disease condition Griva Vasti may be combined with Nasya, Abhyanga, Swedana, ShastikaShali Pinda Sweda, Pinda Sweda, Vasti, Pizhichil, etc.